The Parish's Friday Academic Program provides homeschool students in grades 1 through 12 an opportunity to learn subjects not easily provided at home:
- religious instruction taught by our priests, including Sacramental preparation for First Holy Communion and Confirmation;
- Gregorian chant, in which the students of all ages learn the ancient music of the church and even sing the Divine Office and all of the music normally provided by the choir for several High Masses throughout the year;
- drama, in which students in grades 7 through 12 prepare for and perform plays;
- competitive sports, using the glorious facilities of the East Shore YMCA;
- and more.
This is all done through the cooperation of students, parents, and the parish. The program includes four classes at each grade level, all of which require participation. Children should plan to attend Mass at 7:10 am each Friday morning, followed by the Divine Office of Terce, then breakfast.
NEW THIS YEAR: Please note there will be no general preschool. Preschool is only for families with a parent who is regularly teaching or assisting in the program.
Course descriptions for each grade are found here.
All policies and student guidelines are found here.
Parents' assistance is required in some capacity. Information about what roles are available and their descriptions are found here.
September: 8, 15, 22, 29,
October: 6, 13, 20, 27
November: 3, 10, 17
December: 1, 8 (Immaculate Conception), 15, 22
January: 12, 19 (MARCH FOR LIFE) *, 26
February: 2, 9, 16, 23
March: 1, 8, 15, 22
April: 12, 19, 26
May: 3, 10, 17
*All are encouraged to attend the March for Life as a group with families. Students who choose to participate must have a responsible family chaperone in attendance. A fee will be needed for travel.
Cost for Parishioners
$100 for first child or $160 for a family. Registration opens on Friday August 4th.
Cost for Non-Parishioners
$200 for one child or $400 for a family. Registration opens on Monday August 14th.
Payment can be submitted in one of these ways:
2. Parish Office – You may bring your payment to the Parish Office and deposit it in the drop box.
3. Mail – You may mail it to the Parish: St. Lawrence Church, 110 State Street, Harrisburg, PA 17101. (Checks only, please do not send cash through the post.)
Important program changes:
- Classes will be limited to 20 students. Submit registration early to ensure your spot.
- There will be no general preschool this year. Preschool is limited to families with a parent who is regularly teaching or assisting. If you wish to enroll your child in the preschool, you must be willing and able to commit to work in the nursery or preschool.
- Preschool is limited to children (ages 4-5) of regularly teaching parents only.
- The nursery is available for infants and toddlers during the classes when a parent is actively teaching.
- Textbooks will be purchased and loaned to students for their use while in the program.
- Parents must review academic handbook with their children and initial each section by the parent meeting on Sunday August 27.
The presence of at least one parent or guardian is required for a parent meeting on Sunday, August 27, at 10:15am in the Parish Center at 112 State Street in the Aula Magna (3rd Floor).